CmpE 523 - Performance Evaluation of Computer Networks Fall 2015 (A course offered by NETLAB)
Description: Introduction for computer networks performance evaluation. Modeling of traffic flows. Delay and loss models for computer networks. Networks of queues. Performance evaluation of multiple access methods and local area networks. Measurement and simulation of computer networks.
Instructor: Cem Ersoy, Room #: 44, Ext: 6861, email@example.com, http://www.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/~ersoy
Course home page: http://orkinos.cmpe.boun.edu.tr/netlab/courses/cmpe523/fall2015
"System Modeling and Analysis:
Foundations of System Performance Evaluation", Hisashi Kobayashi and Brian
L. Mark, 2008, Pearson/Prentice Hall
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458 ISBN-10: 0-13-034835-X (Available in the bookstore !)
Reference books on the performance evaluation of computer networks:- "Computer Network and Systems",T. Robertazzi, 3rd ed. 2001, Springer Verlag, ISBN: 0387950370
Prerequisites: CmpE 475 or Background on "computer networks"
Times: Thursday (1,2,3) 9:00 - 11:50 Room: ETA A5
Overview of probability and stochastic processes used for the analysis of
1. Introduction to computer networks and network architectures
2. Delay models in data networks: Queueing models, Little's theorem, M/M/1 queue
3. M/M/m, M/M/_, M/M/m/m and other Markov systems
4. M/G/1 queues, priority queuing
5. Networks of queues - Jackson's theorem
6. Midterm (26 November 2015, Thursday)
7. Medium access: Aloha systems: slotted and unslotted. Splitting algorithms.
8. Carrier sensing, CSMA/CD, wireless LANs
9. Case Study: Software Defined Networks (SDN) and their performance.
10. Presentations of the term papers (24 December 2015, Thursday)
Term paper: (due 24 December 2015, 17:00, Thursday) A survey on a hot topic on computer networks which is assigned separately for each student.
5% +10% Homeworks and/or Quizzes
15% +5% Term paper and its presentation (tentative) (due 24 December 2015)
30% Midterm (26 November 2015)
35% Final ( January 2016)